It has been about 20 days today at Palitana, the place known as city of Temples.
As mentioned in the blog previous to this, Palitana is one of the holiest places on Earth for the followers of Jainism. Shri Shatrunjay Giri (Hill) in Palitana, is the place from where 10 crore saints had attained salvation after practising deep meditation and penance on the day of Chaitri Poonam. You can now well imagine the divinity and the impact of the place!
Every step of the hill and every particle is worth worshipping.
The first Tirthankar, Shri Adinath Dada had done 99 Parab jatra of Shri Shatrunjay Giri and worshipping him here is an extremely divine experience!
I cannot express in words how exhilarating it can be to be devotional with an entire group.
Yesterday we performed Giri Pujan (worshipping every step of Shri Shatrunjay Giri with kesar, jal, pushpa, akshat, dhoop and deep)
You might wonder what could be the reason behind worshipping every step of the Giri much like I thought until I read about the many stories that exemplify the significance of even the minutest particle of the place. It is unimaginable! And I feel extremely blessed every day when I begin with the jatra.
Here are a certain interesting facts about Shri Shatrunjay Giri
- Any soul that has been lucky enough to just visit this place and worship Adinath Dada is bound to attain salvation in some birth.
- Consumption of food on Shri Shatrunjay Giri is completely avoided by all Jains.
- More than 10 crore souls have achieved salvation by practising meditation here and many more will.
- Shri Shatrunjay Giri is a Shasvat Tirtha, meaning it will always survive, across generations and eras.
- There are about 3500 steps in total.
- From kids as young as 7 and 8 to senior citizens above 70 come for Navanu (99) jatras from Nov to Jan and May-June.
The temples are beautiful and the architecture is awe-inspiring.
I particular love the sound of the temple bells which are on the Shikhars.
It’s peaceful to be here. A month more to go till I head home and get back to my usual life. I’m sure this chapter of my life will always remain a special, precious, cherished memory.
I want to make the most of the next one month and I hope to visit this place at least once every year.
There is much more to add…until next time! 😊